Saturday, September 21, 2013

Step X Step - Message Pad

Hello and welcome to today's Step X Step ! It's Sue here and today the project I'm sharing with you is a little message pad to keep by the phone or to have on hand for all of those shopping lists (I've always got a shopping list on the go!) There's lots of photo's so grab a cuppa and get comfy !


I started with 2 chipboard coasters, a block note pad and 2 hinges cut from Grunge Paper.


Then I used a piece of brown tissue paper that was part of some packaging and stamped it with lots of Artistic Outpost stamps using black Archival ink.


I then tore up pieces of the tissue paper and glued it to the coasters along with some torn pieces from an old book using Multi-medium. I brushed some more Multi-medium over the top of the paper to protect it as I'm going to add lots of paint !


I then used the Wendy Vecchi stencil and embossing paste and stencilled the numbers onto the coaster.


Once the paste was dry I then gave it a wash of watered down acrylic paint. I dried this off with my heat heat gun and then started to add more acrylic paint using a baby wipe.


I continued to build up layers of paint using my favourite Autumnal colours.


I then started to stencil first of all using a numbers stencil and then I used the chicken wire stencil.


I used Sepia Archival ink and added some stamping using the gorgeous little flourish from the Artistic Outpost Serenity set and a script stamp.


I brushed some metallic wax around the edges and rubbed it over the raised areas. Then I added the embellishments, the text is from the Artistic Outpost Think and Wonder set. The Grunge Paper hinges were painted with acrylic paint and I cut a filigree metal piece in half and glued it to the top.


I used the same technique for the bottom coaster except I didn't add any embellishments as I needed a reasonably flat surface. I also didn't use a stencil with the embossing paste, I just dragged my spatula through it to create the ridges.


As the inside of the covers would be seen I decided to line them. I drew around the coasters and cut them out from white card. I used lots of Distress Inks and then stamped the card using a Wendy Vecchi background stamp with Olive Archival ink.


This is what it looks like now it's lined. I stained a piece of seam binding with Shabby Shutters Distress Stains and I was originally going to stick it in between the coaster and the lining, but I forgot ! So, plan B! I rolled the end of the ribbon and then pierced a hole and added a brad, then stuck it to the lining.


I also used some seam binding and the same technique with the brad to create a little band to hold the paper block in place.


One final photograph to show the detail. I really enjoyed making this project, I hope you've enjoyed it too!

20 comments:

  1. A really gorgeous make, love how you have built up all the layers x hugs xtrace x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, that's gorgeous, Jenny. Thank you for showing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's such a fantastic idea Sue and I love how you've layered and coloured it. Those pads can look so boring otherwise and to have something that looks so beautiful whilst being so useful is brilliant. Hugs, Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fabulous idea and mini tutorial. Gorgeous creation.
    Hugs
    Suzi x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it and a great tut :)
    Von ☺

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an amazing transformation of those mats! Love the colours and textures you created and using those hinges was such a clever idea. Great step by step too. Hugs, Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wowwzersss some amazing tutorial and project, just love it very clever indeed Sue and I love it. Hugs Terry xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a gorgeous mixed media piece, Sue. Very clever construction and design too. Love the colors and the embossing paste! How wonderful to have such a beautiful piece of work to enjoy on your desk!

    Hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is one terrific idea!!! I love the hinges and the little tab to the top and the embellishing is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This would look great on my desk...hint hint! Definitely want to try this out...you did a super job on the tut!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is fantastic, thanks for sharing xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. what an amazing piece of jewelry - one of the little things that brightens the day every time you use it. Great job!
    best wishes, serafeena

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful art and a great idea for gifts. Vee xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great idea. So beautiful but so functional. I love the background and the colors are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is awesome, might have to use this idea for Christmas gifts. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow this is totally brilliant!!!! Love it! Now need to find some old coasters!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a fabulous make, Sue - amazing layers of colour and texture, and all the stamping looks magnificent. Love the glowing inside covers too - fantastic! And a wonderful step by step taking us through it all too, thank you.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my......this is absolutely gorgeous ! LOVE the result so much ! I feel very inspired by your art. Thanks a lot for sharing and a great tutorial.
    Hugs from SPAIN

    ReplyDelete