Saturday, June 15, 2013

Step x Step - Tag !

Hello everyone ! It's Sue here, welcome to today's Step x Step ! Now you may need your sunglasses for this one as I decided to play with the gorgeous Seasonal Distress Inks and if you've not used them yet, you really need to! The project I'm sharing is my tag from the current Frilly and Funkie challenge - Birds and Nests. You've still got plenty of time to enter this challenge too !


I've used one of the fabulous jumbo tags that Linda sells in The Funkie Junkie Boutique which I've drawn around on to some watercolour paper. I cut it out and trimmed it down so that it would sit on to the jumbo tag with a border.


Then I've rubbed Ripe Persimmon, Salty Ocean, Peacock Feathers and Picked Raspberry Distress Inks onto my craft mat and spritzed them with water. I've pressed the watercolour tag onto the spritzed Distress Inks. The watercolour paper stands up to all the water really well and the colours blend together beautifully.


After the first dip in the inks, dry it off with you heat gun and then dip it again to create the 'splotches' of different colours.


Make sure your tag is completely dry at this stage as this will stop excess embossing powder sticking to your tag. I've used the Artistic Outpost Birds of a Feather stamp and Tim Holtz' embossing ink with white embossing powder. I also rubbed the embossing ink around the edge of the watercolour paper and sprinkle more embossing powder onto it to create a border.


I then used the pretty little border stamp from the same set and stamped around the edge using black Archival ink.


For the honeycomb stamping I've used the stamp from the Tim Holtz Mixed Media set. I've not used an acrylic block as I didn't want the stamping to be perfect.


The jumbo tag has been embossed using the Tim Holtz Texture Fade from the Bubble and Honeycomb set.  As the tag was larger than the embossing folder I've embossed one end the turned it around and embossed the other. You can just about make out the join in the above photograph, but as it's going to be the bottom layer it doesn't matter. I then blended all of the different Distress Inks that I used earlier over the tag and I also brushed a little Treasure Gold over it too.


When I mopped up the Distress Ink from the earlier stage, I kept the baby wipe I'd used and laid it out flat to dry. The fabric has a similar texture to felt when it's dry and as the colours are what I 've already used in the project they are co-ordinated too ! I've used the Tim Holtz Tattered Flowers strip die to cut the flowers with.


The flowers have been layered up and a little self adhesive pearl attached to the centre. The bird, nest and swirls have all been made using another piece of watercolour paper that's had the spritzed Distress Ink treatment. The swirl has been cut using the Tim Holtz Festive Greenery strip die.


The letters are cut from watercolour paper too using the Tim Holtz Vintage Market strip die and I've drawn around the edge of each letter using the Picket Fence Distress Marker. To finish, I added a piece of the beautiful lace that Linda sells in The Funkie Junkie Boutique.

I hope you've enjoyed today's Step x Step !

Have a fun and crafty week end !

Sue

10 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing, this tag is gorgeous. Wonderful colors, techniques and images.

    Have a lovely weekend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The perfect way to start a Saturday Sue. Love this as it's given me so many ideas. That background is superb and I love the use of your baby wipe for the flowers. Hugs, Jenny x

      Delete
  2. Beautiful tag and thanks so much for the step by step. Handy tip about the baby wipe to make flowers - brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic tutorial with superb techniques and very inspiring. Love it x

    Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful tag! love the colours, textures and flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seriously cool StepXStep, Sue. So many wonderful techniques shared here! Gorgeous color palette and those baby wipe flowers ROCK!

    Hugs,
    Lidna

    ReplyDelete
  6. a really great tag...and fab step x step x
    xx hugs trace x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really stunning, Sue... the colours are great, and the effect of that watercolour background is magical. Fabulous step-by-step and a glorious tag at the end of it - yum!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Sue
    this is really lovely the colours are my favs and they just work so well together on your tag. Loving the layers and textures of this using the watercolour was fab
    Ria

    ReplyDelete
  9. gorgeous! lots of awesome elements here that work together perfectly. xo

    ReplyDelete