Friday, April 19, 2013

Friday Focus - Burlap and Jute

It's FRIDAY!!!!  That means we are back focusing on a new product area, which will also be discounted 15% in The Funie Junkie Boutique for a week.  

It's Linda posting again.  I adore using textiles in my art and burlap and jute are among my favorites.  One of the main things about The Funkie Junkie Boutique is that I sell what I love to craft with.  I've hunted down various burlap styles as well as twine, several styles of jute ribbon and even burlap string. I've had a super busy week, but I  managed to put together a couple of ideas of things to do with burlap plus I'm going to share a couple of photos of past projects using the jute ribbon.  

First up is a flower of white burlap, which is about a 1 1/2" strip that I twisted and wrapped.  I made a couple of leaves, stabilizing the burlap by brushing Multi Medium Matte on the back and letting it get good and dry before I ran it through the Tattered Leaves die.  Initially, I dabbed the cut leaves with Antique Bronze Metallic Distress Stain but didn't like that it didn't give much contrast.  So I dabbed them again with Bundled Sage Distress Stain.  The antique Ball canning jar was simply wrappwd with the wide burlap ribbon from the Boutique.  I finished it with a rhinestone button and a bit of ivory burlap thread.

Another flower, also wrapped and twisted but with this one I didn't use much of a ragged edge so it is smoother than then one above.   I framed it with some vintage lace.  It's fairly large and will probably show up down the road as the centerpiece on a card.
Another large embellishment made with strips of burlap.  I cut long strips, folded them so the ends met in the center and glued them layer on layer to create a flower.  I topped this one off with one of the huge wooden coat buttons I started carrying recently plus some jute twine for a bow. 
And finally, here is a card I made last year that features both the white burlap, the ivory jute ribbon and ivory burlap thread.  

Below are the links to the store for some of the products used here.  Be sure to check out the Friday Focus section to see all the burlap and jute products I have on sale this week.  


6 comments:

  1. Adoring your flowers and that card is just perfect How well does this jute/burlap work with your buttons! Will you be getting any more crinoline at some stage? Hugs, Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really are the Mistress of burlap and jute Linda, your flowers are absolutely stunning. I will definitely give your ideas a try, thank you for the inspiration - and loving the large buttons too! Hugs, Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love all the natural colours and textures, they are scrummy!they look wonderful with the large buttons too.great make s hugs trace x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, love the flowers you made here. That Jute is so cool, I haven't seen it before. Thanks for sharing Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so love jute and burlap, and these projects show it off with genius - amazing work!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the burlap flowers Linda ! I don't use it anywhere near enough and this just shows how versatile it is ! Sue C x

    ReplyDelete